Saturday 4 August 2012

Introduction to a Singaporean's thoughts

This sounds cheesy. But I am going give a slight introduction of myself. I'm Yvonne, from Singapore. I have previously done my Degree in IT at QUT, 5-6 years ago...so u might be able to guess my age. But yes, I am back here to do my Masters in Business Process Management.

I must say, after stepping into the real world of working for about 4.5 years and coming back to uni life, I actually enjoy learning and enjoy attending lectures sooo much more than I did back than for my degree studies.

Anyway, even though this blog is meant to be a professional one. I intend for it to be somewhat formal yet casual(pardon the contradiction).

My goal in having this blog is to be a subject expert in Enterprise 2.0 as much as I can.

My objectives of having this blog are:
1) Driving traffic to my blog / gaining visits(inter-related with my next line)
2) Keeping my readers interested indefinitely
3) Gaining a professional reputation / professional online presence
4) Writing about Enterprise and its related issues to the best that I can

My Blogging Strategies:
1) I will try to be as personal as I can(since after all, this is a professional blog)
2) Inserting interesting images so that I do not bore my users with just words
3) Have catchy titles of my blog entries as much as possible
4) Using some humour when possible
5) Share knowledge/information that I have recently learnt with my readers
6) Engaging readers to respond






Photo Credit: Robert Sanzalone




At the same time, of course I aim to do alot of research and be as resourceful and as informative as I can, so that I am able to interest my readers, and get them to come back to read my blog as often as I hope they do. And most commonly, speaking to people in the relevant industries and seeking for their opinions on issues with regards to Enterprise 2.0. I also will not deny the fact that I will even to the extent - searching around for good websites, and emailing the owners of the websites, just to find out their views on things.






Photo credit: Gary Ng
http://www.ewebmarketing.com.au/blog/ceo-blogging-for-the-first-time/


Hopefully, with that much of information and readers, seeing how resourceful I am, will return to find out about information that they need.

Before I end my post, I was reading this few blogs, and I think they are quite worth reading. Reason being that, they :
1) are personal to a certain extent - I am opinionated that a blog, no matter what kind of professional purposes it has, it should be personal to a certain extent as it is a blog afterall
2) are up-to-date - Realistically, if you notice that a website has not been updated for months, or even years, would you still want to visit? I for one, will not, since there will not be new content that I have not read before.
3) contain some 'live' updates about themselves(twitter/facebook, social networks basically) - this will keep readers interested should they mention something that catches the attention of readers, readers can then respond immediately.
4) contain pictures, so that they will not bore readers with just words(which explains why that is one of my blogging strategies).

I have included the blog links below and titled them with my own words:
A Knowledge Manager's thoughts
A senior Consultant on social media
Interview : Thoughts on Enterprise 2.0
How to build and lead successful online communities

Question for the day: I have shared my methods of attracting readers to my blog. What about yours? What are your methods of gaining readership to your blog?

10 comments:

  1. Hi Yvonne, a fairly concise post! Alot of your strategies are not impossive to achieve. Keeping it simple and learning as we go is the key.

    Do check my blog http://thadreina.wordpress.com/ when you have some spare time.

    You can also follow me via twitter using this hastag @takujoo

    Thanks
    Thadreina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Yvonne, I am studying a Masters of I.T. and am contemplating studying the Master of Business process modelling. How are you finding it so far?

    I have to say I also find lectures and studying that much more interesting after a shedding a few years. If you would like to ready my blog it is http://talktimesydney.com/ollie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ollie! Sorry for the late reply as my internet at my place have finally been sorted out.

    I'm really loving my course so far. You're amongst the many that I know that are taking Business Process Modelling. R you enjoying that?

    Yeah! Good to know that you and I are both in the same shoes(in a good way, obviously)! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Yvonne,
    We have very objectives and strategies to blogging. In fact, we have quite similar background too. I completed my IT degree many years ago. I wanted to do Master in BPM but decided to start with Graduate Certificate to get a taste into postgrad studies. :)
    I like the way you structure your post and the pictures are humourous. All the best. You can check out my blog at http://e2karen.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Karen! I really enjoyed your blog, I must say that it is soo excellent that your passon in doing things is just so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Yvonne,

    My methods for attracting readers mostly include the use of social media sites (such as twitter), relevant keywords and referencing other blogs.

    Good post overall, I think I should perhaps begin incorporating pictures into my posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Adam, whatever it is, it is never too late to start doing/incorporating new ideas! ;)

      Delete
  7. Hi Yvonne, I did my Degree in IT at QUT last year and I am back here again for my Masters in Business Process Management, same path. I like the way you post your blog as "somewhat formal yet casual". Which I have used the same strategy for my blog. All the best! Can check out my blog too! http://leoscleung.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leo, thank you for visiting my blog!
      That's nice..We are kind of in the same situation - or almost. Yeah, I believe that in blogging, no matter what kind of professional reason it has been set up for, a blog is a blog. It should always have some casual elements in it.

      Delete